Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over-dependence on technology...

... or inadequate engineering?  Or maybe both?

The entire country of Argentina most of Uruguay, and parts of Brazil blacked out by a single power-failure event:

‘Massive Failure’ in Power Grid Causes Blackout in Argentina and Uruguay

An Argentine co-worker who contacted her family afterwards, told me that a lot of people had no idea what was going on.  Due to reliance on cell phones, a lot of people no longer have radios; but the phone system failed as well.  They're lucky, really, that it happened during the day, rather than in the middle of the night.
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 1 user Likes Dr H's post:
  • brewerb

I just finished watching Chernobyl so never ignore the very real probability of human ineptitude.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(06-26-2019, 08:55 PM)Dr H Wrote: ... or inadequate engineering?  Or maybe both?

The entire country of Argentina most of Uruguay, and parts of Brazil blacked out by a single power-failure event:

‘Massive Failure’ in Power Grid Causes Blackout in Argentina and Uruguay

An Argentine co-worker who contacted her family afterwards, told me that a lot of people had no idea what was going on.  Due to reliance on cell phones, a lot of people no longer have radios; but the phone system failed as well.  They're lucky, really, that it happened during the day, rather than in the middle of the night.

Wouldn't most of them have slept thru it?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Fireball, SYZ