Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, Danu, what is Locksport???

Apparently this is some sort of sport about locks?  Like....duh.  But can you explain more?  Thanks.
                                                         T4618

Not Danu, obviously, but her video post on the subject made me curious, so I surfed a bit. Looks to be just the sport/hobby of lockpicking, which might be under a larger umbrella of security testing. I need to look more, but it is intriguing. I'm prone to nerdy interests like that.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-21-2020, 05:23 PM)c172 Wrote: Not Danu, obviously, but her video post on the subject made me curious, so I surfed a bit. Looks to be just the sport/hobby of lockpicking, which might be under a larger umbrella of security testing. I need to look more, but it is intriguing. I'm prone to nerdy interests like that.

I'm always amazed at the stuff I learn about on this forum.  Danu keeps posting youtube videos about locks and I thought it was just a curiosity of his/her but then SYZ called it "locksport" and suddenly I realized it's some sort of "sport".   Who knew?

Danu?  Are you out there somewhere?  Tell us all about this sport.  I'm curious to learn something new.
                                                         T4618

Introduction to Hobbyist Lock Picking Aka: LockSport

And there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of hobbysist lock picking sites out there.

Lock Picking How-To with Cut Away Lock in Practice Stand.

It's the sort of easy, desktop hobby that can suck you in as your skills progress, and it's
also a relatively cheap passtime as the one set of $100 lock-picking tools will last a lifetime.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-22-2020, 02:12 AM)SYZ Wrote: Introduction to Hobbyist Lock Picking Aka: LockSport

And there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of hobbysist lock picking sites out there.

Lock Picking How-To with Cut Away Lock in Practice Stand.

It's the sort of easy, desktop hobby that can suck you in as your skills progress, and it's
also a relatively cheap passtime as the one set of $100 lock-picking tools will last a lifetime.

Well, I'll be damned.  I learn something new everyday.  Thanks SYZ.    How long have you been into this hobby?
                                                         T4618

Just know that if one is in the wrong place at the wrong time, in many municipalities, possession of said tools is a crime in and of itself. I'll stick to my bolt cutters and sledgehammer.  Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 4 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Dānu, Gawdzilla Sama, Mr Greene

(05-22-2020, 02:34 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 02:12 AM)SYZ Wrote: And there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of hobbyist lock picking sites out there.

Well, I'll be damned.  I learn something new everyday.  Thanks SYZ.    How long have you been into this hobby?

I've been following it and learning (from YouTube) this year, but only bought
a set of tools and practise locks a couple of weeks ago.  I'm a real newbie LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-22-2020, 04:44 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 02:34 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 02:12 AM)SYZ Wrote: And there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of hobbyist lock picking sites out there.

a set of tools and practise locks a couple of weeks ago.  I'm a real newbie LOL.

Do you have to buy the locks?  I was thinking that maybe there'd be a library of locks one could borrow just to try and unlock it and then you send it back.  Otherwise wouldn't you have a bunch of locks all over the house?  lolol  What a funny hobby.   Sun
                                                         T4618

(05-22-2020, 04:52 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 04:44 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 02:34 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Well, I'll be damned.  I learn something new everyday.  Thanks SYZ.    How long have you been into this hobby?

Do you have to buy the locks?  I was thinking that maybe there'd be a library of locks one could borrow just to try and unlock it and then you send it back.  Otherwise wouldn't you have a bunch of locks all over the house?  lolol  What a funny hobby.   Sun

I don't know about buying locks, but they sell "training locks" which can be configured different ways so that you can practice different picking techniques and overcoming varied lock types.

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • SYZ

I don't know why but I find this one of the funniest hobbies I've ever come across.  It's funny in a delightful sort of way. But isn't it expensive?  Seems like a good lock would cost some money and as you got better don't the locks get more expensive? After a while haven't you've sunk several hundred dollars or more into it?
                                                         T4618

(05-22-2020, 03:07 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I don't know why but I find this one of the funniest hobbies I've ever come across.  It's funny in a delightful sort of way. But isn't it expensive?  Seems like a good lock would cost some money and as you got better don't the locks get more expensive? After a while haven't you've sunk several hundred dollars or more into it?

The following 5 users Like skyking's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Fireball, Mark, SYZ, Finite Monkeys

(05-22-2020, 03:24 PM)skyking Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 03:07 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I don't know why but I find this one of the funniest hobbies I've ever come across.  It's funny in a delightful sort of way. But isn't it expensive?  Seems like a good lock would cost some money and as you got better don't the locks get more expensive? After a while haven't you've sunk several hundred dollars or more into it?

BAHAHAHAHAH!  This answered a lot of questions I had.  Thanks Sky.   Big Grin
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Mark

(05-22-2020, 04:14 AM)Fireball Wrote: Just know that if one is in the wrong place at the wrong time, in many municipalities, possession of said tools is a crime in and of itself. I'll stick to my bolt cutters and sledgehammer.  Tongue
Like most jurisdictions in the US. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Rofl2 Getting in his ex-girlfriend's Back Door. I wonder how many times he had to record this to keep the laughter out of it.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Mark, skyking

(05-22-2020, 04:09 PM)Fireball Wrote:

Rofl2 Getting in his ex-girlfriend's Back Door. I wonder how many times he had to record this to keep the laughter out of it.

♫Too too too, poopin' out my back door...♫
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dancefortwo

@skyking that was as amazing as it was inspiring. Nice to know that it is possible with the right tool, technique and loads of lube. Maybe my wife will help me out.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-22-2020, 03:47 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 04:14 AM)Fireball Wrote: Just know that if one is in the wrong place at the wrong time, in many municipalities, possession of said tools is a crime in and of itself. I'll stick to my bolt cutters and sledgehammer.  Tongue
Like most jurisdictions in the US.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Let's not confuse cop shows with reality:

Quote:United States

In the United States, laws concerning possession of lock picks vary from state to state. Generally, possession and use of lock picks is considered equivalent to the possession of a crowbar or any other tool that may or may not be used in a burglary. Possession of lock picks with an intent for their unlawful use is generally prosecuted as a misdemeanor under the category of possession of burglary tools or similar statutes. In many states, simple possession of lock picks is completely legal, as the statutes only prohibit the possession of lock picks or the activity of lock picking when there is a malicious intent.[28] This is the case in Arizona,[29] California,[28] Utah,[30] Maine,[citation needed] Massachusetts,[31] New Hampshire,[32] Washington D.C., Washington State,[33] and New York.[34] Some states, such as California and New York, impose restrictions on businesses, such as prohibiting the operation of a locksmithing business without a license and imposing requirements to keep records about sales of lock picking devices.[28][35][36]
Source

[Image: lock-pick-map.jpg]
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Mark, SYZ, skyking