Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a blu-ray drive for my desktop. Suggs?

I want to replace the DVD drive I have now. I am not a techie, so the less wizardry needed the better.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

A Bluray reader & writer, or just a reader?

(Last I looked, LG owned the low-end on Bluray Rewriters. I own two, one of which is not 100%. It's old.)
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Price isn't an issue. I want to be able to play blu-rays and read-write CD, nothing more ambitious.

(04-20-2020, 01:57 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Price isn't an issue. I want to be able to play blu-rays and read-write CD, nothing more ambitious.

It isn't so much a question of that, there just aren't many manufacturers left in the market. It's basically LG and a few stragglers.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

LG, you can't go wrong. Yes looking at MSY's catalogue they only have LG drives (internal). No doubt this is because the majority of people use laptops like they're desktops - like idiots! Big Grin

(04-20-2020, 12:30 PM)Aractus Wrote: LG, you can't go wrong. Yes looking at MSY's catalogue they only have LG drives (internal). No doubt this is because the majority of people use laptops like they're desktops - like idiots! Big Grin
When I use my laptop it's on a bedside table next to the emesis bucket and the panic button.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Aractus

(04-19-2020, 11:27 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I want to replace the DVD drive I have now. I am not a techie, so the less wizardry needed the better.

I'm assuming you've got an internal drive. Any of these will work:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100008607%...0600416855

I'd recommend ASUS or Pioneer. The one time I bought an LG it was dead in the box and all I got from LG customer service was a ton of runaround about how they were having difficulties due to the hurricane that hit New York nearly a year after it happened.

When it comes down to it, they're all made in the same 2 or 3 factories in China and the only difference is branding. What you're really paying for is the guarantee and the customer service if shit breaks.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Thanks! I have a Lenovo desktop if that matters at all.

Just a side note, last that I checked, Asus customer support had gone to the dogs. I'd just get an LG from a reputable dealer. They're not expensive enough to worry about replacing if something goes wrong, and Newegg and Amazon will make it right if it's within 30 days. The only sense in which desktop you have matters is to make sure it has a 5-1/4 drive bay, and check that you've got a spare SATA port. All-In-One's typically use uATX motherboards which aren't known for having a lot of ports. You might also need a power cable splitter, too, depending on what's inside. What's the model number of your desktop?

Vivekananda

No clue what the model number is, where do I look? (I'm not crawling under my desk.)

(04-20-2020, 04:27 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: No clue what the model number is, where do I look? (I'm not crawling under my desk.)

If it's a standard desktop with a 5-1/4 in. bay, not an all in one, you simply pull two connectors from the back of the drive, remove four screws (2 on each side) and slid it out. Reverse order to install the new one. No need for a spare SATA slot since it's a replacement.

Cool. It's a hulking desktop with the DVD drive in place now.

It's an easy job the "professionals" charge out the ass for, counting on customer ignorance to keep them in business.

I've been fucking with PCs since 1987. Grace Hopper got my first one going. She was at the naval base in San Diego to dedicate a new super computer center and wanted to check our systems to see if the NCIC link was working properly. I got to be her driver that day.

It might even be "easier" than that. get the model number and google it up. Many of the manufactured units have quick release rails, you pop off the front cover or whatever google shows, flip a couple of doohickeys and it slides out. remove those rails at the comfort of the table and install on new drive, slide back in, pop cover back on.
VIOLA!
Edit: GRACE HOPPER!

Edity edit super edit:
Restart, then
You might catch the BIOS splash screen on bootup and get the model, or press f2 or esc or del to get into the bios at that exact moment you can do so.

OR I could give Geek Squad $200 to do a fifteen minute job.

Nah.

yup nope screw that.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

If you're swapping out a DVD and replacing it with Bluray, just do what TGB says. You don't need the model number then, other than if you have difficulty opening the case or figuring out how to secure/release the drives.

Vivekananda

I have a chicken ready to sacrifice. (And plans for chicken fajitas of course.)

(04-20-2020, 04:27 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: No clue what the model number is, where do I look? (I'm not crawling under my desk.)

Take your system to Best Buy, tell them what you want, they do it, go home and enjoy.  Smile
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(04-21-2020, 07:40 AM)Chas Wrote:

Take your system to Best Buy, tell them what you want, they do it, go home and enjoy.  Smile

My experience with Best Buy was rather different. First, it it took a week for the appointment. Then they said they had to send it to Apple because they aren't allowed to do hardware stuff, just some software fixes. And the Geek Agent told me that basically, Apple just reloads your software (fixed) to a new computer of the same model and ships it back and sells you the new computer.

But that is all Apple stuff. For a Windows PC, I would bring it to a local computer store that does great work cheap. My local PC guys love doing that stuff. I have a stand-alone Win98 for old games. I expect they are even better at new PCs.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

They're only doing curb pickup right now. Not an option anyway. I let them "set up" a new computer once. They did nothing I couldn't have done myself. I'll let the noobs and novices pay them to hit "yes".
  • Cavebear

(04-21-2020, 08:33 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

They're only doing curb pickup right now. Not an option anyway. I let them "set up" a new computer once. They did nothing I couldn't have done myself. I'll let the noobs and novices pay them to hit "yes".

Its on the box it came in. Surely you kept the box. Just kidding... ROFL2
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(04-21-2020, 09:04 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 08:33 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 07:40 AM)Chas Wrote: Take your system to Best Buy, tell them what you want, they do it, go home and enjoy.  Smile

Its on the box it came in.  Surely you kept the box.  Just kidding...   ROFL2
Actually, I do. I used to be an insurance claim rep. The boxes prove what I have/had. I keep them in a space under the basement stairs that I call Pottermore.
  • Cavebear

(04-21-2020, 08:04 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

My experience with Best Buy was rather different.  First, it it took a week for the appointment.  Then they said they had to send it to Apple because they aren't allowed to do hardware stuff, just some software fixes.  And the Geek Agent told me that basically, Apple just reloads your software (fixed) to a new computer of the same model and ships it back and sells you the new computer.  

But that is all Apple stuff.  For a Windows PC, I would bring it to a local computer store that does great work cheap.  My local PC guys love doing that stuff.  I have a stand-alone Win98 for old games.  I expect they are even better at new PCs.

The last time I had them do anything was some years ago (new hard drive, ghost the old to the new). They were competent and not expensive, but it sounds like they've changed.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte