Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggest a new forum name

Suggest a new forum name
How about Atheist Trump Bashers?
Trumpity trump trump?
Fuck Trump and the horse he rode in on?

Every damn thread gets derailed immediately with some reference to the political state in the US. 
Why not cut the corner and not allow any other postings?
The following 5 users Like skyking's post:
  • Mathilda, Gawdzilla Sama, DLJ, Mediocharist, LastPoet

Suggest a new forum name
Skyking loses it over Trump politics

Thumbs Up
The following 5 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, skyking, Deesse23, Chas, RobbyPants

Suggest a new forum name
How often does your opinion on your favorite book change? My favorite has been Pale Fire for about a decade now. Historically it's changed every couple years or so. Perhaps I'm not reading at the same rate. Thoughts?
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 1 user Likes Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 02:04 AM)skyking Wrote: How about Atheist Trump Bashers?
Trumpity trump trump?

Every damn thread gets derailed immediately with some reference to the political state in the US. 

My difficulties seem to be lessening, I hope to start new Canadian threads soon (that don't require too much knowledge of Canadian politics to contribute)

Please stand by...

Loading... Quebec "secular" law which is actually just an anti-religious law & why that is bad...

Give me a day or two.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 4 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • skyking, Dom, Tres Leches, Paleophyte

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 03:16 AM)Unsapien Wrote: Please stand by...

Loading... Quebec "secular" law which is actually just an anti-religious law & why that is bad...

Please do. I think that their attempts to ban the flag of Quebec are fucking hilarious.

Suggest a new forum name
I favor "Miss Kitta Ritta God Beattas."
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Suggest a new forum name
Amygdala Pokers.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Alan V

Suggest a new forum name
Wall-eyed Pikers.

Suggest a new forum name
Snickers Eaters

Suggest a new forum name
Wakanda North

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 02:55 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote: How often does your opinion on your favorite book change? My favorite has been Pale Fire for about a decade now. Historically it's changed every couple years or so. Perhaps I'm not reading at the same rate. Thoughts?
It’s been decades since I’ve been able to pick any one book (or piece of music) as my favorite.  I can usually pick a favorite or two within a writer’s output.  There are some authors I’m afraid to reread—authors it’s a bit painful to realize I enjoyed so much.  Found that out on reading the first Narnia book aloud to my young son and finally perceiving C.S. Lewis’s condescending prickdom and sledgehammer allegory.  

Pale Fire is my favorite Nabokov.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Vivian Darkbloom

Suggest a new forum name
The focus on Donald isn't unique to AD, though. When I read articles in US newspapers about politics in the EU, Asia and beyond, the comment threads are inevitably taken over by Americans comparing whatever the story is about to Trump and US politics, as if we're the center of the universe and the ultimate benchmark and who care about the nuances of any other nation's politics. It's annoying but what are ya gonna do? *shrug*

I do sometimes get on foreign outlets' websites that are mostly ignored by Americans to get news and viewpoints that aren't obsessed with Trump because I get sick of hearing about him too. If/ when he kicks the bucket, I won't miss him.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Mathilda, Mark

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 02:00 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: The focus on Donald isn't unique to AD, though. When I read articles in US newspapers about politics in the EU, Asia and beyond, the comment threads are inevitably taken over by Americans comparing whatever the story is about to Trump and US politics, as if we're the center of the universe and the ultimate benchmark and who care about the nuances of any other nation's politics. It's annoying but what are ya gonna do? *shrug*

I do sometimes get on foreign outlets' websites that are mostly ignored by Americans to get news and viewpoints that aren't obsessed with Trump because I get sick of hearing about him too. If/ when he kicks the bucket, I won't miss him.

-Teresa

Oh how I wish every single person on the planet would permanently ignore the man. That would be the best weapon to use (legally, morally) against him. Would that we could. Some terribly misguided people actually voted for him to be the leader of a country...
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • Tres Leches, outtathereligioncloset

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 04:24 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:

Please do. I think that their attempts to ban the flag of Quebec are fucking hilarious.

You're going to have to give me a link to that, this is the first I've heard of it.

Actually I found a bit about it online, some people wanting to ban the Quebec flag because it has a white cross on it but apparently that cross is not religious it's taken from some old French banner.

Where as the red cross in the city of Montreal's flag is actually symbolic of a religious cross.

Anyway I'll get to it soon.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Suggest a new forum name
I'm conflicted, I totally understand Skykings frustration and where he's coming from I mean even Brexit which is huge here in the UK and literally will affect everyone in the country is confined to one thread but, and it is a big but... we cannot refuse to accept or escape from a few salient facts.

1) The overwhelming majority of AD's members are American by nationality

2) America although declining is still the premiere and some would say, the only superpower and as such American politics, Trump and his craziness has worldwide implications and effects.

3) Points number 1&2 means theres no guarantee that a change of president won't result in a very similar situation here on the forum or change its current nature that much.

My feeling is that short of starting a forum that actively excludes Americans, American politics and any mention of Trump which in my view is neither workable or desirable on any of these points then we are stuck with it and just have to suck it up.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Alan V

Suggest a new forum name
We Trump-haters should learn to moderate.   Panic
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • adey67, skyking

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 02:07 PM)Unsapien Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 04:24 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:

You're going to have to give me a link to that, this is the first I've heard of it.

Actually I found a bit about it online, some people wanting to ban the Quebec flag because it has a white cross on it but apparently that cross is not religious it's taken from some old French banner.

Where as the red cross in the city of Montreal's flag is actually symbolic of a religious cross.

Anyway I'll get to it soon.

It may be taken from a French flag but that enormous white cross slap down the middle of the flag could only be more obviously Christian if the poor bastard was writhing on it. The white fleur de lis (symbolizing purity) on the blue background (symbolizing heaven) are a bit more obscure but are pulled straight from banners honouring the Virigin Mary.

[Image: 1024px-Flag_of_Quebec.svg.png]

I don't have a problem with any of that but you can't very well pretend to be a "secular" society bereft of overt religious symbols whilst flying Roman Catholic heraldry from every flagpole in the nation. It's around about this point that certain parties start calling for exemptions for the flag/big damned crucifix in the Quebec legislature/even bigger damned cross atop Mount Royal/etc... that it becomes painfully obvious that this is little more than a cowardly attempt to legislate double standard pure laine bigotry.

I know, this is grossly OT, but I think that was the point.

Suggest a new forum name
When I feel like reading about Trump I hit the Trump Chronicles thread. When the mention of Trump is off-topic for the thread, I scroll past, usually.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, LastPoet, Tres Leches, Chas

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 02:40 PM)adey67 Wrote: I'm conflicted, I totally understand Skykings frustration and where he's coming from I mean even Brexit which is huge here in the UK and literally will affect everyone in the country is confined to one thread but, and it is a big but... we cannot refuse to accept or escape from a few salient facts.

2) America although declining is still the premiere and some would say, the only superpower and as such American politics, Trump and his craziness has worldwide implications and effects.

3) Points number 1&2 means theres no guarantee that a change of president won't result in a very similar situation here on the forum or change its current nature that much.

My feeling is that short of starting a forum that actively excludes Americans, American politics and any mention of Trump which in my view is neither workable or desirable on any of these points then we are stuck with it and just have to suck it up.

I know he comes into the lives of almost every aspect of many of our lives and can't be avoided all the time no matter what country you're in. He's on the news here everyday too, which is why I can't even watch the news at home any more when my wife is in the room cause when trump comes up she tells me to turn off the TV (also if Trudeau comes on too).

So it's just part of our new normal I guess, but here I find it pretty easy to just stop reading any threads that get too trumpy.

It's almost like he has become the internet's new Godwin's Law .

The following 2 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Tres Leches, adey67

Suggest a new forum name
This!!

Suggest a new forum name
rule #34
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Suggest a new forum name
This thread is like stating I don't want to talk about 'God' .... 3 guesses what will be talked about  Weeping
The following 2 users Like madog's post:
  • Alan V, SYZ

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 02:40 PM)adey67 Wrote: I'm conflicted, I totally understand Skykings frustration and where he's coming from I mean even Brexit which is huge here in the UK and literally will affect everyone in the country is confined to one thread but, and it is a big but... we cannot refuse to accept or escape from a few salient facts.

While it is still true that we are predominantly living in the US, we never had this syndrome before. Politics have always been a topic, but they never dominated the way they do now. While, during normal times, one rarely hears from presidents, this president does many objectionable thing every day, and we only see the tip of the iceberg, and it's enough to write a book a day.

Why is it so important? He can fuck you just as easily as he can fuck anyone around him.  It doesn't much matter where on this globe you live anymore, we are all connected, financially, environmentally and as humans. The world is small, and a dictator with a huge military who is able to reach anywhere in the world, who is a narcissist and listens to no one but himself, can fuck you but good. 

In times like this, it's good to stay informed and NOT to be quiet. Look where lack of information and complacent quiet got the Germans. 

So, the last thing I want to do is stifle loud voices. 

That said, we have a thread about trump, and we have a thread about the new candidates. Most threads related to US politics should go there. 

Also, I like that we have Brexit and the Aussie thread and Szuchow often posts about Poland and Deesse posts about Germany. We need more of that, precisely because we are all interrelated and what happens in one place affects another as well as the world. 

So, if you would like to see your country discussed, make a thread in politics and PM me to sticky it .
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 6 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, adey67, Mathilda, Szuchow, Tres Leches, outtathereligioncloset

Suggest a new forum name
OK, I have stickied Poland, Aussie and German threads. OP, please let me know what you would like the thread title changed to, if you want a change. Please try to add to those threads, so we can see more of world politics.

Anyone who wants to cover other places, make a post and let me know.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Mathilda

Suggest a new forum name
(09-17-2019, 02:04 AM)skyking Wrote: How about Atheist Trump Bashers?
Trumpity trump trump?

I hear ya and it's not really this forum only. I bet my left nut that belongs to j00ds, that is because the vast majority of denizens here are US denizens. 

As I said in AF many times. They voted for the president they have. I wash my hands. I voted for prez Marcelo, but Portuguese politics is good for a snore.

It's just that.
The following 2 users Like LastPoet's post:
  • skyking, Bucky Ball