Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Must Admit That This Guy Has Me Down Perfectly!

I Must Admit That This Guy Has Me Down Perfectly!
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/opini...e=Homepage

Quote:Why People Hate Religion

The charlatans and phonies preen and punish, while those of real faith do Christ’s work among refugees.

Quote:You don’t hear much about Sister Norma Pimentel in the secular press. She’s not a wacko, a hypocrite, a sexual predator or a political operative. Her life’s work, she says, is guided by seeing “the presence of God” in migrant children in the shelter she oversees in the Rio Grande Valley — vulnerable souls that her president would otherwise put in cages.

What you hear about is the phonies, the charlatans who wave Bibles, the theatrically pious, and they are legion. Vice President Mike Pence wears his faith like a fluorescent orange vest. But when he visited the border this summer and saw human beings crammed like cordwood in the Texas heat, that faith was invisible.

Quote:Religious hypocrites are an easy and eternal mark. The French Revolution was driven in part by the revulsion of starving peasants toward the overfed clerics who had taken vows of poverty. The Protestant Reformation took flight on disgust at a church in Rome that sold passages to heaven, enriching men who had multiple mistresses after taking vows of chastity.

White evangelical Christians, the rotting core of Trump’s base, profess to be guided by biblical imperatives. They’re not. Their religion is Play-Doh. They have become more like Trump, not the other way around. It’s a devil’s pact, to use words they would understand.

So Sister Pimentel may be deluded into thinking that her invisible friend in the sky gives a shit about her efforts but at least she is doing good instead of harm like the knuckle-dragging, racist, shitheads who blindly follow their fuhrer in the name of jebus.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 8 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, Chas, Fireball, abaris, brunumb, Phaedrus, mordant, Free