Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God and the Flood

God and the Flood
So here's something I've been wondering about. God is supposedly perfect, yet in Genesis, he regretted killing most of humanity in the Flood. Doesn't that mean God, by his own standards, didn't make the absolute best, perfect decision, and therefore made a mistake? How could a perfect being make a mistake?  Consider

If God makes no mistakes then why would he regret it in the first place? How could he be disappointed in his action? What need would there be to rectify?
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Phaedrus

God and the Flood
So, let's see...ah yes.  Gen 1:

Quote:31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

You're right.  It does make "god" look like a major fuck up, doesn't it?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
(07-30-2019, 09:07 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: So here's something I've been wondering about. God is supposedly perfect, yet in Genesis, he regretted killing most of humanity in the Flood. Doesn't that mean God, by his own standards, didn't make the absolute best, perfect decision, and therefore made a mistake? How could a perfect being make a mistake?

That was the first God.  He was sacked and replaced by a better God, who disavowed the actions of the first God to minimize any lawsuits.   Paper Paper Paper
The following 4 users Like Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dancefortwo, madog, Thumpalumpacus

God and the Flood
Actually what it says is that he regretting creating humanity, not killing humanity.
Genesis 6:6 "The Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
(07-30-2019, 09:07 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: So here's something I've been wondering about. God is supposedly perfect, yet in Genesis, he regretted killing most of humanity in the Flood. Doesn't that mean God, by his own standards, didn't make the absolute best, perfect decision, and therefore made a mistake? How could a perfect being make a mistake?  Consider

Least dude didn't lose his glasses while sitting on the couch.   Angel  Smile
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V

God and the Flood
(07-30-2019, 09:07 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: So here's something I've been wondering about. God is supposedly perfect, yet in Genesis, he regretted killing most of humanity in the Flood. Doesn't that mean God, by his own standards, didn't make the absolute best, perfect decision, and therefore made a mistake? How could a perfect being make a mistake?  Consider

If God makes no mistakes then why would he regret it in the first place? How could he be disappointed in his action? What need would there be to rectify?

You mean the same god that was too dim-witted to just painlessly pop all those sinners into non-existence? That deity with the room-temperature (Celcius) IQ that drowned almost every creature alive just to take care of a few defects in one species?

[Image: parenting.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Peebothuhlu

God and the Flood
(07-30-2019, 09:07 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: So here's something I've been wondering about. God is supposedly perfect, yet in Genesis, he regretted killing most of humanity in the Flood. Doesn't that mean God, by his own standards, didn't make the absolute best, perfect decision, and therefore made a mistake? How could a perfect being make a mistake? 

I take your point about the Christian god apparently killing off the very people he created, but
then I'd advise you not to spend too much (any?) time "wondering" about the bullshit in the bible.
You need to remember that the whole book is filled with mythology, fabrications, delusions, fantasy
and outright lies.  And there are hundreds of self-contradiction in the absurd stories anyway that
just don't make any sense when rationalised with a modern logic.

You need to read the bible for what it is, that is, a very popular fictional story, of which the happenings
within are, in the main, impossible in any real world scenario.  But then, it's a very long-winded, boring
story that could've been covered in 100 pages rather than a thousand.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gwaithmir, Dancefortwo

God and the Flood
Quote:You need to read the bible for what it is, that is, a very popular fictional story

WE know that.... but the religitards need to have it shoved up their asses on a constant basis.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gwaithmir, Cheerful Charlie

God and the Flood
(07-30-2019, 10:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Actually what it says is that he regretting creating humanity, not killing humanity.
Genesis 6:6 "The Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."

Point still stands, why regret anything if all your decisions are perfect?  What's there to regret? Tongue
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir

God and the Flood
He killed the babies.

[Image: s-l1000.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Minimalist

God and the Flood
(07-30-2019, 11:38 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(07-30-2019, 10:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Actually what it says is that he regretting creating humanity, not killing humanity.

Point still stands, why regret anything if all your decisions are perfect?  What's there to regret?  Tongue

He had perfect regret  ROFL2
The following 1 user Likes madog's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
(07-30-2019, 11:44 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: He killed the babies.

He should've moved the release of his microwave oven design forward a couple of thousand years.
Warm and tender beats cold and soggy any day.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama

God and the Flood
(07-30-2019, 11:44 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: He killed the babies.

[Image: s-l1000.jpg]

Oh, not the babies.... what will the pro-birth assholes think of that?
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:

God and the Flood
He regretted creating humanity to maximumly imaginable perfect degree, in his awesome godly way Big Grin
Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid.
The following 2 users Like possibletarian's post:

God and the Flood
This generally gets presented as god not really wanting to kill everyone, but HAVING to, in order to maintain his integrity as a perfect judge / rewarder of good / punisher of evil. And yet there's the rainbow at the end, representing his UNCONDITIONAL promise to never do it again. Which begs the question why he did it to begin with.

What people never seem to consider is that god decides what the conditions are ... including none at all. He creates people with certain weaknesses and proclivities, then forbids that they be exhibited. This all powerful being couldn't create beings that wouldn't piss him off, can't control his rageaholism, and keeps setting arbitrary rules when he could set any rules or no rules.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama, Inkubus, Finite Monkeys

God and the Flood
Quote:And yet there's the rainbow at the end, representing his UNCONDITIONAL promise to never do it again.

Well, FUCK HIM!
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:

God and the Flood

Having regrets does not mean that he deem decision wrong, he might have been just regretting its "necessity".

Far more galling is the fact that this genocidal tyrant is deemed good by believers.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
You have to go back to the creation process and ask the question:  Why would an omniscient, loving god create people knowing that they would, through their own free will, end up in hell?
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
It's a repetitive theme.  God never seems to know when his plans are going to crash and burn.  He's the Ambrose P. Burnside of "gods."

Much like the American electorate this 'god' has a tendency to pick people who will let him down.  David?  Saul?  Both turned out to be fuck ups but 'god' didn't see it coming.  What an asshole.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, brunumb, GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
Epicurus nailed it a couple of millenia ago.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
(07-31-2019, 12:24 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Oh, not the babies.... what will the pro-birth assholes think of that?

That's not the half of it.
He also *designed* the system in which more than 50 % of human pregnancies are spontaneously aborted.
He's the all-time worst, most prolific abortionist.

Quote:Point still stands, why regret anything if all your decisions are perfect?  What's there to regret?

Agree. Omniscient he's not.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
[Image: 0mI1PO84mrumc3t1ccc4B9DGFqDVqwjTB8izkEgy...9d9477b288]
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

God and the Flood
What does old folklore have to do with Christian theology?

I mean, if Perfect the pig was perfect, then why the fuck did he have bird wings growing out of his back? That's not a perfect pig. That's a weird species of manticore or something.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • GenesisNemesis