Atheist Discussion
Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=89)
+--- Forum: Spirituality, Pseudoscience and Conspiracy Theories (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? (/showthread.php?tid=4641)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - no one - 12-07-2022

[Image: icon_quote.jpg]Minimalist:
Ever notice how no one thought of life as a video game or a computer simulation until video games and computers were invented? 

Those magic ways and shit. Though I'm pretty sure the almighty OS in the sky prefers Technical Wizardry and shit.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Dānu - 12-07-2022

All I know is that computer sim or not, mine keeps crashing.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Free - 12-07-2022

(12-07-2022, 02:37 AM)Dānu Wrote: All I know is that computer sim or not, mine keeps crashing.

Download and run in this sequence:

Adware Cleaner

Malwarebytes

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Dānu - 12-07-2022

(12-07-2022, 03:19 AM)Free Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 02:37 AM)Dānu Wrote: All I know is that computer sim or not, mine keeps crashing.

Download and run in this sequence:

Adware Cleaner

Malwarebytes

sudo make me a sammich

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Free - 12-07-2022

(12-07-2022, 03:20 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 03:19 AM)Free Wrote: Download and run in this sequence:

Adware Cleaner

Malwarebytes

sudo make me a sammich

[Image: turkey-sandwich.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=is&k=2...7vj9OgGG0=]

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - c172 - 12-07-2022

Yum! Sounds good right now.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Cavebear - 12-07-2022

(12-06-2022, 12:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Is this theory a way of avoiding responsibility by blaming some cosmic programmer?

Sounds like a religion to me. All the same aspects of control and non-free-will. But I'm sure we are not a computer simulation. I have a self-written app that detects when my CONTROL button is activated outside of my computer. The computer tells me.

Oh wait, "the computer tells me". Hmm...

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - pythagorean - 11-19-2023

(01-17-2020, 04:41 AM)Aractus Wrote: String Theory is a hot mess. Garbage in garbage out. Physicists being mislead by overconfidence in conjectural mathematical models. 

"Ask not what Mathematics can do for Physics - ask what Physics can do for Mathematics."  - me

Mathematics and string theory

PDF: einaudi.dvi (marcosmarino.net)

[Image: quote-i-love-only-nature-and-i-hate-math...2-0203.jpg]

Bohemian Gravity | A Capella Science

Quote:0.3. Clash of cultures

In the course of preparing this book I have been fortunate to have had many discussions with computer scientists, applied mathematicians, engineers, physicists, and chemists. Often the beginnings of these conversations were very stressful to all involved. I have kept these difficulties in mind, attempting to write both to geometers and researchers in other fields.

Tensor practitioners want practical results. To quote Rasmus Bro (personal communication): "Practical means that the user of a given chemical instrument in a hospital lab can push a button and right after get a result."

My goal is to initiate enough communication geometers and scientists so that such practical results will be realized. While both grouops are interested in communicating, there are language and even philosophical barriers to be overcome. The purpose of this paragraph is to is to alert geometers and scientists to some of the potential difficulties in communication.

To quote G. Folland [126] "For them (scientists), mathematics is the of manipulating symbols according to certain sophisticated rules, and the external reality to which those symbols refer lies not in an abstract universe of sets but in the real-world phenomina that they are studying."

But mathematicians, as Folland observed, are Platonists, we think that the things we are manipulating on paper have a higher existence. To quote Plato [266], "Let us take away any common instance; there are beds and tables in the world - plenty of them, are there not?"

"Yes. But there are only two ideas or forms of them - one the idea of a bed, the other of a table."

"True. And the maker of either of them makes a bed or he makes a table for our use, in accordance with the idea - that is our way of speaking in this and similar instances - but no artificer makes the ideas themselves: how could he?"

"And what of the maker of the bed? Were you not saying that he too makes, not the idea which, according to our view, is the essence of the bed, but only a particular bed?"

"Yes, I did. Then if he does not make that which exists he cannot make true existence, but only some semblence of existence; and if anyone were to say that the work of the maker of the bed, or of any other workman, has real existence, he could hardly be supposed to be speaking the truth."

The difference of cultures is particularly pronounced when discussing tensors: for some practitioners these are just multi-way arrays that one is allowed to perform certain manipulations on. For geometers these are spaces equipted with certain group actions. The emphasize the geometric aspects of tensors, geometers prefer to work invariantly: to paraphrase W. Fulton: "Don't use coordinates unless someone is holding a pickle to your head."

*Footnote: This modification of the actual quote in tribute to my first geometry teacher, Vincent Gracchi. A problem in our 9th grade geometry textbook asked us to determine if a 3-foot long rifle could be packed in a box of a certain dimensions, and Mr. Gracchi asked us all to cross out the word "rifle" and substitute the word "pickle" because he "did not like guns". A big 5q + 5q to Mr. Gracchi for introducing his students to geometry.

(pages xvii-xviii)

Tensors: Geometry and Applications

J. M. Landsberg

Graduate Studies in Mathematics (Volume 128)

American Mathematical Society

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Vorpal - 12-09-2023

I live on a Computer.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Free - 12-11-2023

(01-16-2020, 10:04 PM)Jenny Wrote: So I wasn't quite sure if this was the best place to post this as in some circles this is considered a "scientific possibility" with people like Neil deGrasse Tyson seemingly open to this idea.  The idea of us and our universe being a computer simulation has been going around for some time.  It picked up more speed however when Sylvester James Gates, a theoretical physicist, found what he claims is computer code--specifically "doubly even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block codes"--within the laws of physics.  Discuss  Big Grin

If it's possible that a thousand monkeys could eventually type out the entire works of Shakespeare, then it's possible for such a code to be randomly generated from absolute chaos.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Rhythmcs - 12-11-2023

Makes a person wonder where the buck stops - if there's some different explanation for the final universe up the simulation chain.

It'd be fun if it was a closed causal loop, with the last universe down simulating the first universe up.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - brewerb - 12-11-2023

In the end I'd expect the blue screen of death.

(is that still a thing?)

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - pattylt - 12-11-2023

(12-11-2023, 05:20 PM)brewerb Wrote: In the end I'd expect the blue screen of death.

(is that still a thing?)

I use a Mac…I’d get a forever spinning beach ball.  Chuckle

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - brewerb - 12-11-2023

(12-11-2023, 05:56 PM)pattylt Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 05:20 PM)brewerb Wrote: In the end I'd expect the blue screen of death.

(is that still a thing?)

I use a Mac…I’d get a forever spinning beach ball.  Chuckle

Be grateful, at least you get something to watch. hobo

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Inkubus - 12-12-2023

Would it ever be possible to know If we are living in a computer simulation? 
Probably not. So providing the illusion is consistent throughout our simulated lives then why would it matter, how could it ever be an issue? Until one day the software has a runtime error and you walk out the front door and there's Greta Garbo on the lawn arm wrestling with Darth Vader. Now 'that' will definitely get your attention! You see these raving loonies locked up in asylums, perhaps they've glimpsed reality and that's what did their heads in?

The simulation question is no more profound or meaningful than the irresistible trees in an unstoppable forest, ie, total bollocks. Don't waste a moment of your life, real or imagined, contemplating it. Leave it for stoners and philosophy undergrads to ponder.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Cavebear - 12-12-2023

We are not in a computer simulation. I feel pain in my knees. I get muscle cramps in my legs. I bleed when cut. If I drink a 3rd glass of wine, I feel stupid. I feel wind whipping around even while wearing a heavy jacket. I can't fly. I have no powers. I don't find magic swords.

If this is a computer simulation, it is really a very good normal-realistic one or a very bad one. I'll go with non-computer-simulation "reality". This isn't even 'The Truman Show'.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - mordant - 12-12-2023

(12-12-2023, 09:56 AM)Cavebear Wrote: We are not in a computer simulation.  I feel pain in my knees.  I get muscle cramps in my legs.  I bleed when cut.  If I drink a 3rd glass of wine, I feel stupid.  I feel wind whipping around even while wearing a heavy jacket.  I can't fly.  I have no powers.  I don't  find magic swords.

If this is a computer simulation, it is really a very good normal-realistic one or a very bad one.  I'll go with non-computer-simulation "reality".  This isn't even 'The Truman Show'.
Even if this is a simulation it feels the same as real so it's kind of a moot point.

Also we have no idea what reality is if we were able to break out of the simulation. It might be even worse than the simulation.

The irony would also be that now people in the simulation are themselves engaging in increasingly sophisticated and immersive simulations in order to escape deeper into the "matrix". Replika will sell you an AI friend who, via augmented reality can even appear with you in the room. Eva will do Replika's high quality cartoonish avatars one better and sell you a nice airbrushed beautiful girlfriend who "always respects your desires", ahem.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Cavebear - 12-15-2023

(12-12-2023, 07:40 PM)mordant Wrote:
(12-12-2023, 09:56 AM)Cavebear Wrote: We are not in a computer simulation.  I feel pain in my knees.  I get muscle cramps in my legs.  I bleed when cut.  If I drink a 3rd glass of wine, I feel stupid.  I feel wind whipping around even while wearing a heavy jacket.  I can't fly.  I have no powers.  I don't  find magic swords.

If this is a computer simulation, it is really a very good normal-realistic one or a very bad one.  I'll go with non-computer-simulation "reality".  This isn't even 'The Truman Show'.
Even if this is a simulation it feels the same as real so it's kind of a moot point.

Also we have no idea what reality is if we were able to break out of the simulation. It might be even worse than the simulation.

The irony would also be that now people in the simulation are themselves engaging in increasingly sophisticated and immersive simulations in order to escape deeper into the "matrix". Replika will sell you an AI friend who, via augmented reality can even appear with you in the room. Eva will do Replika's high quality cartoonish avatars one better and sell you a nice airbrushed beautiful girlfriend who "always respects your desires", ahem.

Close to computer simulation, 'Truman'. Maybe 'Her' or 'Ultraviolet'.  I'm sure there are others.  I'm avoiding animations like 'Tron" (which I loved though).  A movie abought a computer simulation doesn't seem to count on this.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - no one - 12-16-2023

If this is a simulation, where are the cheat codes?

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - GenesisNemesis - 12-18-2023

Yo momma's so fat it suggests we're in a computer simulation.