Atheist Discussion
Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=89)
+--- Forum: Spirituality, Pseudoscience and Conspiracy Theories (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=94)
+--- Thread: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? (/showthread.php?tid=4641)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Jenny - 01-16-2020

So I wasn't quite sure if this was the best place to post this as in some circles this is considered a "scientific possibility" with people like Neil deGrasse Tyson seemingly open to this idea.  The idea of us and our universe being a computer simulation has been going around for some time.  It picked up more speed however when Sylvester James Gates, a theoretical physicist, found what he claims is computer code--specifically "doubly even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block codes"--within the laws of physics.  Discuss  Big Grin

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-16-2020

Unproveable, so have it anyway you like.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Bucky Ball - 01-16-2020

There may be a PBS video by Brian Greene about this.
He used to think that String Theory suggested this might be possible, (that what we think is reality is a program running of the edge of the universe).

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Thumpalumpacus - 01-16-2020

Why couldn't they program me with better guitarin' skills?

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Chimp3 - 01-16-2020

So...some nerdy programmer took the time to program hemorrhoids that bleed, Preparation H, bird shit on your windshield, shopping carts with bad wheels, hard boiled egg farts, cat shit in the sandbox, Chikungunya, Candiru fish and Eric Trump? I don't think so!

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Alan V - 01-16-2020

We definitely live in our brains' simulations of external realities, so I would say the situation is exactly the opposite since string theory is at most a part of our internal simulations.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - brewerb - 01-16-2020

No, we do not live in a computer simulation. 

Our lives are determined by the god CURTA!

[Image: curta.gif]

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - grympy - 01-17-2020

(01-16-2020, 10:04 PM)Jenny Wrote: So I wasn't quite sure if this was the best place to post this as in some circles this is considered a "scientific possibility" with people like Neil deGrasse Tyson seemingly open to this idea.  The idea of us and our universe being a computer simulation has been going around for some time.  It picked up more speed however when Sylvester James Gates, a theoretical physicist, found what he claims is computer code--specifically "doubly even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block codes"--within the laws of physics.  Discuss  Big Grin

Now THAT is a fascinating claim , but a long way from proof.  Peer reviewed articles? 

IF that's true true, does it prove the existence of a god in the broadest terms, being  a creator, or in the specific, as in say the christian or  Hindu or even ancient  Egyptian  sense?  Imo, no it does not.

After reading this a few times, I've formed the opinion that this could be a sneaky attempt  to introduce intelligent design . 

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

@Chimp3

"So...some nerdy programmer took the time to program hemorrhoids that bleed, Preparation H, bird shit on your windshield, shopping carts with bad wheels, hard boiled egg farts, cat shit in the sandbox, Chikungunya, Candiru fish and Eric Trump? I don't think so!"

Nup, that won't  cut it. ---argument from incredulity .  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

"The argument from incredulity is a logical fallacy that occurs when someone decides that something did not happen, because they cannot personally understand how it could happen.

The fallacy is an argument from ignorance and an informal fallacy. "

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_incredulity

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Fireball - 01-17-2020

(01-16-2020, 11:35 PM)brewerb Wrote: No, we do not live in a computer simulation. 

Just another Stone Age god.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Big Grin

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Jenny - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 12:20 AM)grympy Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 10:04 PM)Jenny Wrote: So I wasn't quite sure if this was the best place to post this as in some circles this is considered a "scientific possibility" with people like Neil deGrasse Tyson seemingly open to this idea.  The idea of us and our universe being a computer simulation has been going around for some time.  It picked up more speed however when Sylvester James Gates, a theoretical physicist, found what he claims is computer code--specifically "doubly even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block codes"--within the laws of physics.  Discuss  Big Grin

Now THAT is a fascinating claim , but a long way from proof.  Peer reviewed articles? 

IF that's true true, does it prove the existence of a god in the broadest terms, being  a creator, or in the specific, as in say the christian or  Hindu or even ancient  Egyptian  sense?  Imo, no it does not.

After reading this a few times, I've formed the opinion that this could be a sneaky attempt  to introduce intelligent design . 

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

@Chimp3

"So...some nerdy programmer took the time to program hemorrhoids that bleed, Preparation H, bird shit on your windshield, shopping carts with bad wheels, hard boiled egg farts, cat shit in the sandbox, Chikungunya, Candiru fish and Eric Trump? I don't think so!"

Nup, that won't  cut it. ---argument from incredulity .  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

"The argument from incredulity is a logical fallacy that occurs when someone decides that something did not happen, because they cannot personally understand how it could happen.

The fallacy is an argument from ignorance and an informal fallacy. "

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_incredulity

The article is in the June 2010 Vol 23 No. 6 Physics World magazine entitled "Symbols of Power."  I don't know if they are a peer-reviewed publication.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Paleophyte - 01-17-2020

If we did it would have more realistic graphics and bigger blood splatters.

Imagine the tedium. You're running the ultimate Minecraft game where all the villagers do is play Minecraft.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - jerry mcmasters - 01-17-2020

I'm familiar with the argument but have no idea how it could be proved or disproved. Sounds crazy but who knows. Seems like it would take some serious coding.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - brewerb - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 12:21 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 11:35 PM)brewerb Wrote: No, we do not live in a computer simulation. 

Just another Stone Age god.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Big Grin

Bow to your overlord and master or I shall have you cranked a second time!

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Dancefortwo - 01-17-2020

No.  No we don't.   Deadpan Coffee Drinker

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Aractus - 01-17-2020

(01-16-2020, 10:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: There may be a PBS video by Brian Greene about this.
He used to think that String Theory suggested this might be possible, (that what we think is reality is a program running of the edge of the universe).

String Theory is a hot mess. Garbage in garbage out. Physicists being mislead by overconfidence in conjectural mathematical models. Loop quantum gravity is no better. Funny how that's almost exactly the same problem with the climate models. Thinking "At its best, physics is the most potent and precise of all scientific fields, and yet it surpasses even psychology in its capacity for bullshit." There have literally been books written about this: Is Theoretical Physics Wasting Our Best Living Minds On Nonsense? (yes): "The idea of 'beauty' or 'naturalness' has been a guiding principle in physics for a long time, and has led us to this point. In her new book, Lost In Math, Sabine Hossenfelder convincingly argues that continuing to adhere to this principle is exactly what's leading us astray." More recently Sabine Hossenfelder penned the article: "Why the foundations of physics have not progressed for 40 years: Physicists face stagnation if they continue to treat the philosophy of science as a joke". She writes: "The only way to avoid being sucked into this vicious cycle is to choose carefully which hypothesis to put to the test. But physicists still operate by the “just look” idea like this was the 19th century. They do not think about which hypotheses are promising because their education has not taught them to do so. ... Over and over again I have heard them justifying their mindless production of mathematical fiction as “healthy speculation” – entirely ignoring that this type of speculation has demonstrably not worked for decades and continues to not work. There is nothing healthy about this. It’s sick science. And, embarrassingly enough, that’s plain to see for everyone who does not work in the field." (see Peter Woit’s response as well).

Don't get me wrong - as I recently said in another thread, I do believe gravity is quantum, we just don't have a workable model for it yet. I'd be very surprised if it isn't - but hey anything's possible until the existence of gravitons are experimentally confirmed. Somewhat ironically, once that experiment is actually done (which will cost a fortune and probably take 10 years to complete), as mentioned on this media write-up, they'll literally learn nothing about quantum gravity other than the fact that it exists. But hey at least they'll finally know they're not completely wasting their time searching for a theoretical model of quantum gravity.

Oh Hossenfelder, has a brand new video up on this exact topic:

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - SYZ - 01-17-2020

It's a proposition I don't even have to think about. It's tantamount to saying I believe in God.

So no... we don't live in a computer simulation.     Shake

I would agree and say No to the idea of a computer simulation universe. However, I do find it interesting that computer code was found in equations. An excerpt from "Is the Universe a Simulation?" from Space.com...

"Gates, a physicist who works on superstring theory (an effort to describe all the universe's particles and forces with equations involving tiny, vibrating super-symmetric strings), has found something suspiciously like computation in the theoretical equations that govern how the universe works.

He discovered what looked like error-correcting codes, which are used to check for and correct errors that have been introduced through the physical process of computing. Finding that type of code in a universe that is not computed is "extremely unlikely," Gates said.

"Error-correcting codes are what make browsers work, so why were they in the equations that I was studying about quarks, and leptons, and supersymmetry?" he said.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Gwaithmir - 01-17-2020

I'll let you know what I think next time I walk down the street and see Neo, Morpheus or Agent Smith walk by.  Hmm

By the way, it's good to see you back, Jenny.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-17-2020

Good LOL at the idea that OUR computer code would be what runs the ENTIRE FUCKING UNIVERSE. Such conceit.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - GenesisNemesis - 01-17-2020

I haven't seen any evidence presented that the Universe is a simulation, and it sounds like the secular version of intelligent design, to me. It's kind of unimaginative. If God exists, extraordinary evidence is required. Same is true of the simulation hypothesis.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-17-2020

The Matrix lives!!!!!

(01-17-2020, 04:35 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I haven't seen any evidence presented that the Universe is a simulation, and it sounds like the secular version of intelligent design, to me. It's kind of unimaginative. If God exists, extraordinary evidence is required. Same is true of the simulation hypothesis.

I agree, however, I do think it's worth exploring why error correcting computer codes were found in the theoretical equations that govern how the universe works by Gates.  In itself that doesn't equal computer simulation, however, imo, I do think it's an interesting point to explore...it at least shows some level of "evidence" if you want to call it that. Wink

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - GenesisNemesis - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 04:48 PM)Jenny Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 04:35 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I haven't seen any evidence presented that the Universe is a simulation, and it sounds like the secular version of intelligent design, to me. It's kind of unimaginative. If God exists, extraordinary evidence is required. Same is true of the simulation hypothesis.

I agree, however, I do think it's worth exploring why error correcting computer codes were found in the theoretical equations that govern how the universe works by Gates.  In itself that doesn't equal computer simulation, however, imo, I do think it's an interesting point to explore...it at least shows some level of "evidence" if you want to call it that. Wink

Looks like there's a debate, with Gates participating. Big Grin

2 hours long, if anyone's up for that.

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - LastPoet - 01-17-2020

Everyone knows that on the flipside everyone here is just a product of my mind. No offense guys I think my mind is great /solipsist Big Grin

RE: Do We Live in a Computer Simulation? - Alan V - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 04:48 PM)Jenny Wrote:

I agree, however, I do think it's worth exploring why error correcting computer codes were found in the theoretical equations that govern how the universe works by Gates.  In itself that doesn't equal computer simulation, however, imo, I do think it's an interesting point to explore...it at least shows some level of "evidence" if you want to call it that.

Personally, I think it is much more likely that deterministic processes plus chance events can lead to all sorts of things that look created even though they are self-organized.  Only certain things work, especially over very long periods of time.

Who knows, perhaps even the so-called laws of the universe are self-organized.