Atheist Discussion
Neil Peart has Died - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=89)
+--- Forum: Movies, Television, Art and Literature (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=103)
+--- Thread: Neil Peart has Died (/showthread.php?tid=4618)

Pages: 1 2

Neil Peart has Died - Kaneda - 01-11-2020

I'm not really keen on writing eulogies.

Perhaps there's someone amongst us with a good grasp of his musical legacy who could say a few words in his honor?

RE: Neil Peart has Died - Minimalist - 01-11-2020

Who?

RE: Neil Peart has Died - skyking - 01-11-2020

We have an informal thread for these kind of things we mentioned him in there already
http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=3635

RE: Neil Peart has Died - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-11-2020

Other than Best Drummer Ever I have nothing to say about him.

RE: Neil Peart has Died - Thumpalumpacus - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 03:04 AM)Kaneda Wrote: I'm not really keen on writing eulogies.

Perhaps there's someone amongst us with a good grasp of his musical legacy who could say a few words in his honor?

One of the greatest drummers to pick up sticks. He melded the finesse of jazz and the power of rock with a fire all his own.

He was also a fantastic lyricist and writer. He wrote the vast majority of the band's lyrics, and has published several travel books. His lyrics ranged from science-fiction epics to topical commentary to putting across his particular view of freethought and freethinking.

Drummers the world over cite him as a major influence, including Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters), and Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam).

Having myself learned (on guitar) around 40 or 50 Rush songs over the years, I'm comfortable saying that his drumming made those songs both more musical, and more challenging.

When I get home this afternoon, I'm going to fire up the amp and play along with 2112 in its entirety.

I'll drive over to your house in my red Barchetta.

(01-11-2020, 02:24 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'll drive over to your house in my red Barchetta.

Amps warming up. Bring your uncle.

RE: Neil Peart has Died - no one - 01-11-2020

Just watch out for that gleaming alloy air car.

When Tom Sawyer first came out, I would play it over and over and the hair would stand up on my neck every time. For me that says it all.

He's not out of rehab yet.

watching the Minnesota game and just before they went to commercial break they played a few bars from Limelight by Rush what a nice tribute:-)

(01-11-2020, 10:36 PM)skyking Wrote: watching the Minnesota game and just before they went to commercial break they played a few bars from Limelight by Rush what a nice tribute:-)

I'm honestly surprised by the widespread mention. NPR mentioned it and one of their shows used "Limelight" as incidental music, a local public station played a lot of Rush. They apparently touched many more people than it felt like when I was the Rush Geek at high school.

Just thinking about the Tom Sawyer solo makes my neck tingle Smile

RE: Neil Peart has Died - Thumpalumpacus - 01-12-2020

Listen to the drumming on this. This is why he's considered one of the greatest.

RE: Neil Peart has Died - PopeyesPappy - 01-12-2020

(01-12-2020, 02:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: This is why he's considered one of the greatest.

Hemispheres was a great tour.

[Image: LS2cv2e.png]

(01-12-2020, 05:11 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 02:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: This is why he's considered one of the greatest.

Hemispheres was a great tour.

[Image: LS2cv2e.png]

Saw 'em on the Hold Your Fire, Presto, and Roll the Bones tours. Last was the best for my money -- they did the full version of "Xanadu" (as opposed to the medley version) as well as LVS.

RE: Neil Peart has Died - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-12-2020

I kept hearing rumors that Pink Floyd and Rush were going to do a concert. Never happened?

(01-12-2020, 01:24 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I kept hearing rumors that Pink Floyd and Rush were going to  do a concert. Never happened?

Nope, never did, to my knowledge.

RE: Neil Peart has Died - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-12-2020

(01-12-2020, 02:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 01:24 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I kept hearing rumors that Pink Floyd and Rush were going to  do a concert. Never happened?

Nope, never did, to my knowledge.

I don't know which is worst, that it never happened or it happened and I missed it. Weeping

I'm bummed I didn't get to see Eric Johnson open for Rush when he did in the early 90s. I've seen both, but seeing them both on one night would be perfect.

RE: Neil Peart has Died - no one - 01-13-2020

RE: Neil Peart has Died - Gawdzilla Sama - 01-13-2020

Wanted, Zed or alive.

RE: Neil Peart has Died - OakTree500 - 01-13-2020

Big Rush fan, as is my dad, so it was a shame to hear he had died. From the sound of things he'd been struggling with brain cancer for like 3 years, so props to him for trying to fight through it.

Absolutely amazing drummer, in one of the best bands of all time. Saw a thing online saying "many musicians are finding it hard to pay tribute to him on their shows as any song he ever played is difficult to recreate live, without a drummer of the same standard"

RE: Neil Peart has Died - Cavebear - 01-13-2020

I haven't known an individual in a band since Ringo Starr actually died in 1970. (coff, coff)... Though I DO love Archer...

RE: Neil Peart has Died - no one - 01-13-2020

The best band of all time OT500.