Atheist Discussion

Full Version: soccer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yes, I would start a thread about this. I won't make it MLS-centric since that would be too arcane for the worldly masses, methinks. But I do follow Seattle Sounders FC here in the Trumpistani Prem. Rocky start, then went in a 10-win tear, if I counted correctly. But now that streak is over with. Only FC Dallas have clinched a spot in the West.So Sounders aren't safe, but things look a bit easier.

Any of you follow? Watch any matches this weekend? How's things for your team or league?
Seattle Sounders on radio and USWNT on TV for the Women's World Cup qualification final (both teams are in, I think).

Why?! Sad
(10-17-2018, 11:51 PM)c172 Wrote: [ -> ]Seattle Sounders on radio and USWNT on TV for the Women's World Cup qualification final (both teams are in, I think).

Why?! Sad

Sounders are out and so are Columbus Crew (I was #savethecrew), so now I'm behind Sporting KC. Very curious with them and Atlanta United still in how that will affect CCL allocations. 

On to the rest of the world. The Copa Libertadores final is supposed to be played, but the Boca Juniors bus was attacked. Several injuries, including retinal, but no deaths. Still a scary situation, and most fans want this to be ppd., but Gianni Infantino (head of FIFA) said that Boca needs to play or forfeit tonight. 

Douchebag.
Well, we have the UEFA Champions League round of 16 set: http://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champion...r-man-city

Man City v. Schalke!

ETA: Ooh, and Roma gets Porto. Looking forward to R16.
Its "football". Deadpan Coffee Drinker 
The *other thing* is "american football". Aggravated
(12-17-2018, 03:26 PM)c172 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, we have the UEFA Champions League round of 16 set: http://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champion...r-man-city

Man City v. Schalke!

Well Man Utd are fucked v PSG .... bye bye Mourinho.  Tongue
Some folks over on BigSoccer.com are salivating over the idea of him coaching an MLS side. That seems a bit far fetched (though I do wonder what overseas fans think of MLS).
(12-17-2018, 11:21 PM)Marozz Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-17-2018, 03:26 PM)c172 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, we have the UEFA Champions League round of 16 set: http://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champion...r-man-city

Man City v. Schalke!

Well Man Utd are fucked v PSG .... bye bye Mourinho.  Tongue

According to Twitter just now, Mourinho has left.
(12-18-2018, 12:40 AM)c172 Wrote: [ -> ]Some folks over on BigSoccer.com are salivating over the idea of him coaching an MLS side. That seems a bit far fetched (though I do wonder what overseas fans think of MLS).

Now that Mau. U have sacked him I think he should call it a day and retire. Though if the money was right he may go to the US. We don't hear much about the MLS league over here in Ireland. We used to get to see some games and goals when Robbie Keane played with LA Galaxy. The league has improved a lot over the years and one hopes it gets even more popular in the US.
I think I heard 70,000 attended the MLS Cup final (postseason playoffs). That was hosted by Atlanta United FC, who has also amassed such crowds in the regular season. On the other end, New England Revolution has trouble cracking 10,000 at times. The Columbus Crew were nearly moved to Austin, Texas (as Austin FC), but I'm not sure if that was an attendance panic or just a moneygrab. At any rate, that issue seems dead.

Next year will be interesting. FC Cincinnati joins. Two more playoff spots and ridding each playoff round of aggregation: one shot and the round is over, because 'murrica.
Fuck soccer... it's Aussie Rules or nothing downunder.

We call soccer "ariel ping-pong".       Big Grin

[Image: 0531c6fb0d154f4abc89deda78584b13--funny-...-memes.jpg] 
RIP Sigi Schmid, coach of Seattle Sounders and LA Galaxy.
https://ktla.com/2018/12/26/sigi-schmid-...ies-at-65/
Oh wow! So I started this last year?

So, lately I watch mostly MLS. On Twitter, I follow the new Canadian Premier League, because I can't be bothered to shell out money for a sports package. And, Go Man City! Premiers and FA Cup winners, IIRC.

If only Bayern would stop being so good and let Bayer in.
All set for the Champions League final. About to kick-off. Liverpool v Spurs, two English teams in the final. Game is being played in Madrid. Fuck! Liverpool awarded penalty after 24 seconds. Liverpool scored! 1-0. Game on!
Women's World Cup has been interesting, but now it's just the USA and a bunch of UEFA teams. Seems the jury's out as far as how the USA will fare against France (hosts). This might be the end for them. My cable is out and will be until I can install the new box Tuesday, but it's been fun to watch thus far (even though attendance has been bad).
https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/matc...h-liveblog
USA to the final (sweden/Netherlands winner).
Looks like Brazil will go to the final of Copa America. Fuck 'em, I was hoping they'll lose Dodgy
US women rule. But the Brit babes were pretty awesome too.
Sweden beat England for third. Title match tomorrow. Stupid early again, IIRC. I was falling asleep in this one. Some amazing moments, though.

Hedvig Lindahl, SWE GK, is now unattached to any club. Sounded like she's not retiring, but at 36 you never know.
USA 2 - 0 NED, FT. (Rapinoe, Lavelle)
Cant wait for Rapinoe going to the White House. No, wait..... Chuckle
Would give a lot for Brazil to lose Copa America but sadly, they won't. Poor dog is terrified and it's only gonna get worse and her owner is not home so I have to take her in (which I've been doing anyway (as long as I wasn't out, too, that is).
Okay, so I have no use for soccer but THIS will piss off the Orange Turdfuhrer so its all good!

Tongue 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/soccer-para...019-07-09/

Quote:The World Cup-winning U.S. Women's National Team will be celebrated by New York City with a victory parade on Wednesday. The ticker tape parade up the Canyon of Heroes, the site of Olympic team celebrations and other championship parades, will commemorate the team's fourth World Cup title since 1991.
MLS playoffs are down to four, after a rather wild (mostly) match in L.A., with LAFC defeating Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the LA Galaxy. Looks like Zlatan is heading back to Europe. Hope he can still be a big fish in whatever pond he lands.

LAFC vs. Seattle Sounders FC 10/29

Atlanta United FC vs. Toronto FC 10/30
And today is MLS Cup, Major League Soccer's championship match, in the Seahawks stadium in Seattle. The third final involving Seattle Sounders FC and Toronto fC. The series is drawn 1-1, IIRC. ABC at 3et/12pt.

Let's go, Sounders.
Pages: 1 2 3